Sunday, April 3, 2016

niggling reality


Image result for pa turnpike



We are heading over to see Peter, who lives about 40 or so minutes from Squirrel Haven.  We are headed over, and I am facing the same niggling reality that has been part of my life since birth.  There is no reconciling the sort of relationship that I consider real, authentic, healthy & the one that the others are able to handle, which is a polar opposite.

Peter has been chomping at the bit for us to get over - we were last there a week ago, dropping by a picture of him, Mom, Whitney & Reynolds taken on another Easter Sunday, 30+ years ago.  He is looking forward to giving me gifties he ordered, that he's sure will give me total delight.  Knowing his track record at gift giving, I have no doubt he's right.


Image result for car heart


That's the sum total of what I can expect from, receive from the rest of my family - well, at least the ones willing to have any sort of connection with me, which splits pretty much down the middle.  Difference between me in 2016 & me 10+ years ago is being able to take what I can get as the best of what is possible.  Might not be able to reconcile the polar opposites, but I can accept with good grace that while it's not a relationship with any great depth or mutual understanding or ability to share much of substance, it is what it is.  And recognize & appreciate that Peter is taking his own steps to meet in the middle.

This compromise is a niggling reality I've grown mature enough to embrace with open arms & a full heart, nothing held back.  



Image result for gift of love

1 comment:

  1. I have learned that every relationship requires a "reaching out." I pray he really saw you doing that and was able to respond!

    ReplyDelete