Saturday, July 12, 2014

"Happy Summer"

"There's a letter from Mim," John said yesterday, as he came in with the mail. 

It gave me a moment's pause, listening to the tone & timber of his words.  They made me smile, even before I opened the note, a card featuring a great photo of a squirrel.  John's few words were filled with happiness & anticipation of my response.

How lovely to have a relationship with my sister.  Doesn't matter whether it is grounded in shared confidences & long gabby visits ~or~ based on the occasional note or letter back & forth - relationships are what they are.  That is, as I see it, their great value.  When we wish they were more or make ourselves think they are different than they appear - that isn't respectful of what is.  

I loved the card, the "Happy Summer!" message, and the sharing of a distance, sweet memory.  What to send in return?

No comments:

Post a Comment